Funding from Municipalities

Home Forums Members Forum Funding from Municipalities

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  BVVSA 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Paul Schmidt
    Participant

The question was raised at the February 8th APBVSA meeting about which programs receive funding from their Municipalities. I had done some research into this topic in 2009, but since that is dated, and I don’t have permission to release those findings, I am posting a request for current information here.  Jasper Victim Services was successful in 2009 with the help of the information that I collected from 12 Coordinators who received funding either directly from the Municipality or through their FCSS Programs. Jasper Victim Services found that at that time a request of $2.50 per resident was reasonable for the Municipalities, and we have been included in the budget for approximately $11 500.00 per year since then. I am happy to share the request letter that I currently use when making this yearly request from the Municipality of Jasper.

Please add any comments that you like, and then list your:

Program / Municipality (Municipalities) / Population / funds provided

Jasper Victim Services / Jasper / 4850 / $11 838.00

gderksen
    Participant

Hi Paul – would you please send me a copy of the letter you use?
    thanks,
    gloria

Anonymous

Hey Paul, could you send me a copy of the letter you used?  Thanks.   Guy

Anonymous

Hi Paul- Stettler VSU here. We used to receive funding through FCSS, but that funding was discontinued last year because of funding cuts to FCSS. It is no longer an option for us, but we have not yet requested funding directly from the town or county. I would appreciate seeing the letter you are using to request funding from the municipalities you deal with. Thanks.

Anonymous

Me too Paul! Please send me a copy of that letter as well. Thanks 😮 Eagletowervsu@gmail.com

BVVSA
    Participant

Following up from Paul’s post last month, Bow Valley Victim Services has been receiving municipal funding for approximately 15 years.

As we serve 5 municipal districts, in late 1990’s we requested funding from all regions, based on population served and the number of people in each community assisted. We also requested these funding amounts to be part of municipalities budget and not part of the FCSS  budget – due to the limitations of the FCSS grant.

Initial process began by inviting representatives from each region to attend a meeting to discuss this shared funding concept and discuss the value our services to each community. Through this shared funding approach, we may provide 50% of our services in one community e.g. Canmore, but we are only asking mayor and council to support 12% of our total operational costs…which seems like a fair deal to each community.

Since late 1990’s we have received funding from each region, every year. List of 2013 grants that have been awarded to the BVVS are shown below, including approx population of each community.

The other great thing about this process is that we often make in-person presentations to mayor and council, so they are aware how their grant will be spent. Once people hear about the work we do, they couldn’t be more supportive. Below are comments from a 2012/13 funding discussions, when the MD of Bighorn approved our most recent grant request.

Bighorn Reeve Dene Cooper said he supported continuing to support BVVS.

“I have incredible admiration for what these people do. These people do incredibly good work in awful moments,” Cooper said.
    Councillor Reid Thomas, who also supported the motion, questioned if the amount was enough, given the importance of the work the BVVS does.
    If you have specific questions about these funding applications, please contact me directly and I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Peter

–          2013 funding Town of Canmore – $27,500 – Population 16,000.

–          2013 funding Town of Banff  – $21,750 – Population 12,000

–          2013 funding ID #9 Lake Louise $5,400* – Population 1,500

–          2013 funding MD Bighorn $2,889 – Population 1,000

–          2013 funding ID of Kananaskis  $1,250  – Population 500

* Lake Louise is a higher grant proportional than other communities as they gave us double the amount requested a couple of years ago

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.